From:
Dave Aiello <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Aiello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 16:59:04 -0500
>On Friday night against RPI (aka Rensselaer), at 19:54 of the third
>period, with the faceoff to the left of the Princeton goalie
>Konte, Princeton's Syl Apps was thrown out of the faceoff circle.  The
>Princeton players looked to the bench to see who should take the faceoff
>instead of Apps.  Head Coach Cahoon took a timeout.  After the timeout,
>Apps returned for the faceoff and took it.
>
>Q: Was Apps allowed to take the faceoff or did the officials miss something?

Rule 6-12d:

If a player facing off fails to take the proper position immediately when
directed by the official, the official may order the individual replaced
for the face-off by any teammate(s) then on the ice.

No substitution of players shall be permitted until th e face-off has
been completed and play has been resumed, except when a penalty is
imposed that will affect the on-ice strength of either team.

Interpretation: It is surprising that you noticed this since I was there
and I did not.  I would have been impressed if the officials had picked
this up.

>On Saturday versus Union, at 3:21 of the second period, one of the referees
>was injured and left the ice.  He would return later but during the time
>he was off the ice, do the officials turn to a one referee & one linesman
>system or does the two referee system remain intact by the linesman being
>endowed with the ability to call penalties?

Rule 5-2d and d(1)

Should one of the appointed officials, referee or linesmen, be unable to
officiate through sickness or accident or be unable to finish the game:

(1) In each of the three-man officiating systems, the remaining officials
will officiate the game using either a two referee or one-referee,
one-linesman system.

Dave Aiello
Chatham Township Data Corporation
31 Birchwood Road