From:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 12:59:41 -0500
> Two situations occurred this weekend in Princeton which sparked a couple
> questions.
>
> On Friday night against RPI (aka Rensselaer), at 19:54 of the third
> period, with the faceoff to the left of the Princeton goalie
> Konte, Princeton's Syl Apps was thrown out of the faceoff circle.  The
> Princeton players looked to the bench to see who should take the faceoff
> instead of Apps.  Head Coach Cahoon took a timeout.  After the timeout,
> Apps returned for the faceoff and took it.
>
> Q: Was Apps allowed to take the faceoff or did the officials miss something?
>

> NEXT:
>
> On Saturday versus Union, at 3:21 of the second period, one of the referees
> was injured and left the ice.  He would return later but during the time
> he was off the ice, do the officials turn to a one referee & one linesman
> system or does the two referee system remain intact by the linesman being
> endowed with the ability to call penalties?

This same situation happened at the RPI, er, Rensselaer tournament. One
of the officials was injured during the Providence-RPI game in the
first period and was unable to continue the game. The linesman went
into the locker room and returned with orange stripes on his sleeves.
They stuck with 2 refs and no lineman. I'm not sure if they'll do this
for conference play or for special situations, but that's what happened.

I think it would be more sensible for them to go to a 2-ref system. The
linesman is not as critical as a referee, so why not go with two refs?

Andy

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
+                                                                     +
+  Andy Weise           Let's Go Tech!                                +
+  SUNY Potsdam '93                     [log in to unmask]       +
+  Union College '95    Let's Go U!                                   +
+  Performance Systems International, Inc. (PSI)                      +
+  "If you think nobody cares you're alive, try missing a couple of   +
+   car payments."                                                    +