From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:43:26 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> At 04:21 PM 12/13/95 -0500, Lawrence C. Weintraub wrote in part:
>>
>> >[snip] Union's Achilles Rink is extremely quiet,
>>
>> Perhaps someone at Union can better comment on this, but when Maine played
>> there earlier this year, it was very loud, and rather intimidating, even to
>> a very seasoned road team like Maine.  I don't know if this is the
>> exception, or the rule, but even the players and coaches commented how
>> "into" the game the crowd was.  You could tell while the introductions were
>> going on that the place was buzzing.
>
>Well, Deron, you're right. The place can get extremely loud, trust me.

This is so true.  As an attender at Achilles when RPi isn't playing I can
attest to this.  Last year the crowd was dead when Army was in town, but
bring in RPI, it was deafening.  Another thing too, with a small capacity
(2,504) and I'd say 2/3rd's being community, alumni, etc, only a third
of the crowd are students, and when they are not there, it lacks the
noise coming from the "rowdy" students.

Actually I think people are quiet in Achilles because you have to get dead
silent if you want to understand what the PA announcer is saying. :)

* Jayson Moy  RPI '89 '93  *  One of the Voices of Rensselaer Engineer      *
* [log in to unmask]             *  Hockey, Baseball, Football, and Basketball    *
* The "Asian Invasion"     *  on Crystal Clear 91.5FM  WRPI, Troy *EASM*    *
* Check out the WRPI Sports Web Pages on:                                   *
*           http://www.rpi.edu/~stuttk/wrpispts.html                        *