From:
"Klein, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Klein, Steve
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 10:24:00 PST
I think this is highly unfair, and I trust that Badger fans with a memory
will come to Jeff Sauer's defense.
In fact, that's the problem: defensemen who can get the puck out of the
defensive zone and move the forwards on the attack.
Was Terry at the UW-MSU NCAA game last year when Rafalski almost
singlehandedly won that game with his breakout passes for goals?
That's what beat the Spartans and contributed to a successful UW season.
That's what's missing this year.
It's a recruiting thing, and Sauer will have to address it.
But MSU has been suffering from the same problem for a few years now, and
Ron Mason has worked hard to correct it. But it will be at least one more
season before he has a defense that can make the offense work.
It's not a particularly sophisticated concept, but it's one that
knowledgeable college hockey fans are aware of.
Jeff Sauer has won two NCAA titles at Wisconsin, and I know that the Dean of
WCHA coaches will have that program back in position for his third title and
a sixth overall within a couple years.
Steve Klein
("It's still a great day for hockey -- even at Wisconsin this season!")
 ------------
In regards to Eric J. Burton's post dated 11/27/95, Wisconsin only graduated
1 of their leading scorers from last year. The rest were defensemen.
 Granted
they were very talented and experienced defensemen, it does not explain what
I saw Friday night in Milwaukee.  The Badgers are essentially the same team,
at least offensivly, as last year, with almost all of their big scorers
still
on the team.  And their goalie, Kirk Daubenspeck, has faced well over 30
shots every game.  On top of that, their pathetic power-play is handled by
the seniors mostly, so what is their problem?
 The Badgers are lacking coaching. Plain
and simple.  Thanks.
Terry Tuschen Jr.
University of Wisconsin-Madison