From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 01:34:14 -0100
At 4:59 PM 9/19/95, Steven Czuba wrote:
>I also think that last year or the year before, the Anaheim Mighty Ducks had a
>promotion involving those Hansen brothers. Something about a brawl during a
>period break; complete with foil fingers, long hair and taped glasses.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but the boys showed up at the
tail end of the HOCKEY-L dinner in Providence this past April.  Most people
had already left for the night game, but some of us remained and the guys
signed autographs and posed for pictures.  I don't remember if there was a
picture taken of them with Dave Hendrickson's son Ryan, but if so, I want
to see it. :-)

The next day, several of us ran into them again at a bar near the rink.  We
got a shot of them fawning over Heather and beating the heck out of me, and
I also grabbed an autographed photo for a friend of mine who was asked to
play for one of them, Steve Carlson, down in Memphis in the CHL a few years
ago.

I don't know who brought them to Providence, but it was one of the best
promotions of the weekend.  They said they had been traveling all over the
place plugging Bud Ice and doing these promos.  It was interesting to see
how immediately recognizable they were to so many people, 18 years after
the movie came out.  The hair, glasses and Chiefs jerseys probably helped.
:-)

Wonder if we'll see them in Cincinnati.

Of course, there is a direct connection to college hockey as I believe
"Slap Shot" was written by Nancy Dowd, the (sister?) of Ned, a former
Bowdoin player if I remember correctly from discussion about this on
HOCKEY3 a little while ago.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93
***** Unofficial Merrimack Hockey home page under construction at:  *****