From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 1995 17:07:21 -0400
Well, I really can't compare BU to teams whose recruits I haven't
seen and losses to graduation I haven't calculated, so I'm not
going to try.

I will say that my gut instinct on picking the national champion
at this point in time would have to be Michigan... but I know what
they've got coming in and what they lost... *&$#%! (we're in trouble)

What I do know well is how BU looks when taken out of context.

BU obviously lost a lot of talent at a lot of positions, but BU won
the title with depth, team defense, leadership, and desire.

This year, however, will be different.  Up front, BU brings in what
looks like it could be another excellent class.  The forwards, on
the most part, are smaller and more skilled, but BU will still be able
to put together 4 lines of firepower that only Michigan will be able
to rival.

In goal, although there is not a hole, with solid goaltender Tom Noble
coming back, but the depth is questionable.  BU is bringing in a
freshman who "they say is good," but you know how it is with
goalies... you never really know until they get out there and face a
Jacqes Rodrigue slapshot, a Mike Grier screen, and Greg Bullock break-
away.  Right now, it looks like Noble will carry most of the load.

Defense is the biggest problem.  BU is bringing in a freshman, but one
freshman and Jeff Kealty (moving up from 4th/practice pair) do not
replace Rich Brennan and Kaj Linna.  BU will have two excellent
defensemen in Kelleher and Coleman, two defensive-defensemen in Wood
and Johnson, but the third pair is a big question-mark... especially
if anyone gets injured!  There is no Ken Rausch to fill in in an
emergency this year.  BU does not have a defenseman like Chris Imes
to take 66 shifts in one game (semi-final vs Mich) and cover like
Maine did last year.  Although UMass-transfer Alger will join the
team at mid-season, BU looks to have the least depth on D since 1989.

There are also those other things known as "intangibles."

These go 2-to-1 against BU.

Heart/leadership - Jacques Joubert, like Mike Sullivan, Mike Eruzione,
etc, is a tough act to follow.  I do not envy Jay Pandolfo.  Although
this is not a bad thing in the larger scheme of things, I think a lot
of the players are content now that they won the national title (and
beat Lake State by 4 goals to get there).  They do not appear to be as
intense and focused as they were last year.  My father always said
that the toughest thing to do in sports is to repeat, and I can see
why.  I'm not saying BU is soft, but I think it'll be a long time
before you ever see a BU game as focused and perfectly played as that
Lake State game.  Oh well.  (-)

They're the champs - The players now know how to win and what it takes
to get there.  The senior class has not missed a Final Four. (+)

Everybody knows they're the champs - Everybody is going to be up to
play BU.  Beating the defending national champs can make someone's
season, so there will be few easy games.  Unless BU unexpectedly goes
in the hopper, playing BU will never be "just another game" to anyone.
Although this could be turned around to make BU better, it could also
expose weaknesses on D and increase the chance for injuries to occur.

On minor fronts, look for Chris Drury to blossom into a top-flight
player.  Watch for Mike Grier to hopefully avoid "Greg Bullock disease"
as people run him, stick him in the groin, and "goon" him, let's hope
he doesn't get into an state of retaliating against everyone.  Watch
for Bates to become a leader.  Finally, watch Chris O'Sullivan.  He
could either challenge for the Hobey... or become horrendously
inconsistent... and I have no idea which way he'll go.  He has more
talent than anyone in Hockey East (yes, I just said that), but
let's see where he goes with it.

Well, that's my "brief" summary of how BU looks.  Either way, it
should be interesting.

Team that will win it all:  Michigan
Team BU will want to play LEAST:  Merrimack
Team that will lead the nation in penalty minutes:  UMass/Amherst

See ya all in Cincy!

Tony