From:
"Breitner, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Breitner, Mike
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 1995 08:57:00 PST
As one of the teams invited to the tourney, we received a seven page fax on
Friday detailing the basis for the lawsuit.  While I don't have the fax in
front of me, the Readers Digest version is this:

The U of KY is selected as the league's rep. to the tourney (sorry-I don't
remember which league) over U. of Southern FL by their commissioner.  The
membership is enraged and removes the commissioner, voting for Southern FL
to rep. them instead.  The ACHA deadline has passed, so KY says no - too
late, we're going and ACHA says no - too late, you can't change your rep.
Southern FL says they'll pay their own way to go to CO and play KY for the
right to rep. the league.  Both KY and ACHA again say no thanks.  So,
Southern FL files suit for a temporary restraining order to halt the whole
tourney, pending a judge's order to resolve the dispute.

The case is on a fast court date to consider the petition for the temporary
order, as the tourney starts Wednesday.  I'm leaving for CO tonight, so will
not be able to provide updates as this situation progresses.  The prevailing
thought is that the tourney will continue anyway, just without ACHA sanction
if the judge grants the order.

Mike Breitner ([log in to unmask])
Northern State University, Aberdeen, SD
REPLY FROM: Breitner, Mike