From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 1995 08:55:32 -0500
Ryan wrote:

>SATURDAY NIGHT'S GAME:
>     After Saturday night's 3-3 tie, Walsh said on the radio that
>he was pleased with the way Maine played. He said Maine had
>attempted more than 80 shots during the game while Northeastern
>attempted about 40 shots. "That's hockey," he said, referring to
>Maine's shots not finding holes.
>     From my vantage point beside the Northeastern goal for the
>first and third periods, looking down the red line, Maine did not
>play too well. Most fans in my section were disappointed in Maine's
>play. I was, too. The offense just wasn't there. Northeastern
>played a very good defensive game, keeping Maine away from the
>center of the ice and away from the goal. The first period did see
>a lot of close shots by Maine, but during the third period there
>just wasn't any spark in Maine's forwards and Maine's shots were
>weak, save for three shots that were deflected into the upper deck.
>     Successful passing is key to setting up scoring chances. Maine
>had a sloppy passing game, especially during power plays. A few
>times Maine passes got away and had to be chased down in the
>neutral zone, wasting time.
>     Northeastern's offensive game didn't play too well, either.

This is right on as well.  Maine did not play well.  It is not enough just
to take shots, you've got to work too.  Maine's success this year has come
from their working hard, and creating chances.  Saturday night, they just
didn't look on their game.  Passing, usually a strong point was weak, and
they were not working as hard.

The game was a tie, so I suppose I can't be too disappointed, I think after
a fine performance Friday night, Maine fans would have liked to see a sweep.
| DERON TREADWELL - [log in to unmask] |
|         University of Maine (21-1-6)       |
|     1994 Great Western Freezeout Champs!   |
|        1995 RPI Invitational Champs!       |