From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 1995 11:18:35 -0500
Jim Teresco writes:
>I'll see if I can find out more, but I do know that there is one game
>against McGill (a Canadian school) which will not count toward Union's
>schedule limit, plus the other 2 teams in the Dexter Classic will not
>be U.S. College Teams, so the second game of that tournament will not
>count either.

At least as far as the NC$$ goes, Union cannot take an exemption for
both games...the NC$$ rule reads (from the archive file NCAAMAN EXCERPTS):

  17.10.5.3 Annual Exemptions.  The maximum number of ice hockey contests
  shall exclude the following:
  f) Foreign Team in U.S.  One ice hockey contest each year with a foreign
  opponent in the United States;

Most teams use this exemption to play either a Canadian university
team or touring team from a European country (or Team Canada).  But
you cannot use it for both.

However, Union remains under both the NC$$ (34) & ECAC (32) limits
even with all games scheduled for next season at 31, so this shouldn't
be a problem.  I suspect that the McGill game will be counted in
Union's record and stats, but the game against the Junior Team in
Orono will not.

It is interesting that apparently mistakes dealing with the exemption
rules are still made by institutions themselves - maybe it points out
how these rules have grown to become difficult to understand.  I'm not
using Union as an example, rather, there is an HE team that was docked
two games by the NC$$ for 95-96 (hint: one of them will be playing
Union :-)) because in 93-94, they played 36 regular season games and
tried to take an exemption for two of them.  The NC$$ later ruled that
the games did not meet the requirement for being allowed to take the
exemption and the games had to count towards the limit, thus putting
the team two over the limit.  Their limit will be only 32 next season.

Well, by now everyone either already knows who it is or will be able to
figure it out when the schedules are released, so, it is UNH.  The
games in question were an early season pair at Dalhousie that were
initially exempted under the foreign tour rule (UNH dutifully counted
them as EX's), but to take this exemption, you must take your foreign
tour during one of the school's officially sanctioned vacation
periods, which for UNH does not include mid-October.

The only question I had was, since this apparently did not qualify as
a foreign tour, can UNH take another one within the next four years -
like next season. :-)