From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 21:49:12 -0500
The fallout from RPI's collapse at Princeton seems obvious--
Bryan Massotta will not be getting any icetime in the near future.  Granted
Massotta can't be held solely responsible for the dismal showing by the
Engineers, the offense took the night off, and the defense wasn't inclined to
give the freshman goaltender any support in front.  But the fact remains,
Massotta's starting record is now 1-2, and he wasn't that impressive in his
Merrimack victory.  Tamburro has earned  the stamp of winner, and deserves to
be behind the pipes for all the tough upcoming games.  I would guess that the
next opportunity for Massotta to log any significant ice time will be at Air
Force in mid-January.  Massotta might draw the starting nod for a consolation
game at the Xmas Tournament, but let's not hope for that outcome.

Coming in I was very high on Massotta, and perhaps I am being too hard on him
now.  But my impressions of him so far are of a rookie who needs to learn how
to position himself, and needs to react better to the puck.  He certainly
seems to possess the physical tools, and represents the future for the
Engineers.  But right now it's "I like Mike" for the upcoming tough
match-ups, including #1 Maine if the Engineers make it through to the
championship of the tournament (and I guess I should also say if the Black
Bears can manage to stay undefeated!)

This year despite it's rather lowly power rating the Engineers
stand an excellent chance of going to Lake Placid with an NC$$ bid in hand,
since the entire ECAC seems very even this year.  But unless things change
dramatically, it looks like Tambo's the man.

Morris                          Go RPI
                   Go 'gate                                         (But
hopefully not much longer)