From:
Rick Feldhoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick Feldhoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 1994 13:42:41 EDT
Associate Professor of Biochemistry
Phone: (502)852-5752; Fax: (502)852-6222

"How hard can it be? The answers are all there!" Anon. student facetious
evaluation of upcoming multiple choice, comprehensive, Medical Biochemistry
exam for Quarter 1.

Efforts to interpret the Latendresse sections of the NC$$ Manual offer an
analogous situation. The NC$$ seems to have tried to write a rule to cover
every possible situation, but then the inevitable variation comes up and no
one knows which rule applies for sure or the order of application. Sort of
like a multiple choice test for a compliance officer, eh? Unfortunately, what
is in the best interests of the student athlete who truly wants to get an
education often gets lost in the interpretations.

One of the reasons the NC$$ has so little respect among knowledgeable fans is
because of strict "Army - Black and White" interpretations of their own rules
over many years despite the fact that fairness and logic would suggest
otherwise. Personally, I will never understand why a Prop 48 kid who must sit
out one year to prove academic competence shouldn't still have 4 years of
eligibility left and especially if you want the kid to play sports AND
graduate. It seems to me that limiting Latendresse to two years of eligibility
almost ensures that he won't finish his degree in any sort of a normal
fashion.

I wish someone would sue them on this one, but then again Prop 48's usually
can't afford lawyers and their college career would be over before it would
ever be settled. The latest way around Prop 48 by some of our basketball
players seems to be to pay their own way for yr 1 (Resident In-state Tuition)
and retain 4 yrs of eligibility and a reasonable chance to graduate.