From:
Carol Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 1994 14:12:01 -0400
If the NCAA has already ruled and there's no foul, at least the
University of Maine won't have a problem about their national
championship.  I do feel very sorry for Latendresse.  I've seen at least
one posting that he should have been aware that he couldn't play this
year.  I don't agree.  Somebody said that the manual is over 500 pages.
He would do what most people would do and rely on the administrative
people who are being paid to know those regulations.  The personnel
manual where I work takes up 3 feet of shelf space.  I don't bother to
read it any more that Latendresse would read the NCAA manual.  I trust
the personnel people to have read the manual and be able to tell me
whether or not I'm in compliance with it.  Latendresse would have done
the same.

He's now the one to suffer, through no fault of his own.  Does anybody
know if he'll have to pay back his scholarship for this semester or
year?  If the University promised him a scholarship for this year, I
think it has an ethical, if not legal, obligation to fulfill the
promise since it was a University employee who made the mistake.  That
would, at least, ensure that he can complete the year and, I assume, the
degree.

The other way he'll suffer can't be fixed by the University.  If he
hopes to have a professional hockey career, he needs to play hockey.  As
that's impossible at a university, he would have to play elsewhere.  It
would be possible for an IHL team to sign him.  Just last week, Jason
Woolley signed with the Detroit Vipers when he was released by the
Washington Capitals (he refused to report to the Portland Pirates).  I
know it's not likely at this point of the season, but it might be possible.

I wish Latendresse the best and I hope that he will be able to finish his
degree and, if he wishes, also have a professional hockey career.

Carol