From:
"Arthur C. Mintz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur C. Mintz
Date:
Thu, 5 May 1994 11:22:39 -0500
>He also said the coaches have the rules committee to pass the word on
>to the referees to crack down on interference next season to open the
>game up more.

Pardon my skepticism, but...

EVERY YEAR in the spring, the coaches instruct the referees to "crack down"
on something that supposedly slows the game down-interference, holding,
something. EVERY YEAR! Look at the "Points of emphasis" in the rule books
for the last 10 years if you want evidence.

EVERY YEAR at the start of the season, the referees take the coaches'
request at face value and call what they've been instructed to call. EVERY
YEAR.

And EVERY YEAR, when the referees do this, the coaches complain that the
referees are taking the game away from the players, that they're "not
letting the players play", yattata-yattata-yattata. EVERY YEAR.

Why am I supposed to believe that it's going to be different NEXT YEAR??