From:
"G.M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 1994 14:45:00 EST
Since the request from Tim came in a while back and no one else seemed to jump
on it, I'll pick up the gauntlet (besides, I'm out of the basketball tournament
and $5 poorer because of it, so, what the hell?).  From what I can drag out of
the archives (actually, I pulled the log from one week too late and overdid my
LISTSERV recall quota, so I don't have exactly how last year's was set up)
Jeremy Hall at PSU organized last year's contest. I haven't seen a post from
Jeremy recently on the list, so, being the daring soul that I am, I'll stick
my neck out.  So:

Announcing the 1994 Completely Totally Unofficial Hockey-L NC$$ Prediction
Contest (or, at least the East Lansing version of it) run by lil' ol' me:

This contest will work similar to all those NC$$ Basketball pools that all you
suckers out there, including yours truly, as mentioned above, lost money on
when BC upset UNC.  Points will be given based on correct prediction of the
winner of each game.  Should a team you pick to win, say, the national semis
loses in the first round, you get no points for that national semifinal.  In
other words, you pick the entire tournament at the beginning.  (This is a
brief intro. to those who have never done this style of contest before, if
any such people exist on the planet.)

The point system:
                1 point for first-round games
                2 points for second-round games
                4 points for national semifinals
                8 points for national final

                Total points maximum: 28
                Tiebreaker: total goals in national final

Since this is public airwaves and gambling is illegal (esp. in Michigan, though
if I was on an Indian reservation [oops, excuse me, Native American] I could
get away with it), the winner will have to suffice with the glory of having his
or her (not meaning to be sexist at all) name up in lights (or, to be more
succint, on the computer screen) for all the envious Hockey-L fans to see.

The brackets:

Western Michigan

Wisconsin       |

                   Boston University

Michigan State  |

Mass-Lowell     |

                   Minnesota

Lake Superior   |

Northeastern    |

                   Michigan

RPI             |

New Hampshire   |

                   Harvard

(I sort of screwed this up intially, but pretty much everybody knows the set-up)
Winner of the BU sub-regional plays the winner of the Minnesota sub-regional
in St. Paul while the Michigan sub-regional winner takes on Harvard.

Entries will be accepted in any legible form (as long as I can figure out what
the hell you're saying, YOU'RE IN!).  Deadline for entries will be Friday, March
25 at 5:00 pm EST (the faceoff of the Wisconsin-WMU game.  Since it would be
pretty worthless to post standings on Saturday, I'll wait until Sunday to post
standings in the pool and then again on Monday.  (If you don't want your name
posted, please let me know.)

The E-mail address is:
                                or

So no one thinks I'm cheating (since I am running it) I will post my picks on
Friday afternoon before the 5pm deadline (but not much before).  I would app-
reciate as many responses as possible, and since there's no $$$$$ involved, all
you can lose is pride.  So Go To It!!!!

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University
WVU '87, UTenn '92, MSU who the hell knows when?