Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 1994 17:17:21 EST
Many of the recent postings have pointed out the relative parity (not parody
as some fans of Norm Crosby would have it) in the WCHA, and how that very
likely cost CC its chance at the NCAA Tourney.  Well, guys 'n gals, how do
we overcome it?
  The WCHA played 32 league games this past year, including 2 in Alaska, which
don't count towards the NCAA limit, so each team got 4 NC games.  That's not a
lot when you try to gauge relative conference strengths; certainly fewer than
in basketball or football (percentage-wise).
  For the WCHA at least, the idea of one-game series' isn't possible; the
logistics wouldn't work out (yes CC and DU could be grouped as could UMD and
MTU, and UM and SCSU, but what about NMU, UW, UND and AA?).  If you did, you'd
reduce the intra-league play to two games home-and-home (sort of like the NFL).
  Which leaves, if you count the game in Alaska, 32-18 = 14 NC games.  I guess
that is great, as long as every other conference does the same, thus freeing
available opponents.  Maybe a schedule that is pre-determined from last years'
results (also a'la the NFL) would be appropriate.
  Which leads to balancing the numbers of teams in each conference, which leads
to realignment.  Funny how complicated this' gotten so quickly.
  If we (hockey-l'ers) believe that any of the "powers that be" subscribe,
our (insightful) banter may lead to results.  I for one would like to see WCHA
teams play more eastern teams THROUGHOUT the year, not just at Christmas when
the students are away and before the "second-half push" (read that 'Oh its only
a NC game, let's start the #3 goalie and save #1 and #2 for the second half').
  So, any ideas?

Steve G