From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 1994 17:29:50 -0500
I was just figuring out who I would vote for in the hockey-l poll when I
noticed that there seems to be 13 teams who are the likely candidates for the
NC$$ tourney.  The only problem is that there are only 12 spots. (Isn't that
always the way?)

Although St. Cloud St., Maine, and Union all present joker-in-the-deck
possibilities (I'm not even going to THINK about the Maine implications...
heck, from the way I'm understanding this (which I keep telling myself MUST
be wrong), Maine is being kept out of the HE tourney for using illegal players
(not something that has been done before to the best of my knowledge) which
does seem a little unprecidented, yet the NCAA might still take them since
forfeited wins using illegal players are still wins.  Please... PLEASE tell
me I'm wrong.  Based on this, UMass/Amherst could make the NCAA's next year
by using Cam Neely and Ray Bourque all season, forfeiting all the games,
getting banned from the HE tourney, and getting the #1 seed in the East with
all the revenue that goes with it as long as they don't use Cam and Ray in the
tourney itself.  Please tell me I'm wrong... Somebody...

Well, with that bit of confusion on my part being ignored, the top 13
candidates appear to be (at THIS time):

(listed by league, not rank)

Michigan, Lake Superior State, Michigan State, and Western Michigan;
Colorado College, Minnesota, and Wisconsin;
Harvard, Clarkson, and RPI;
Boston University, Lowell, and UNH.

Barring major upsets in the tourneys (ex. Cornell wins the ECAC title), who
does everyone think will make it?  What will the actual decisions be based on?
Will they take 7 West and 5 East or 6 and 6?

Michigan is stumbling into the playoffs in a very mortal fashion.
Lake State is quietly positioning themselves for another run.
Michigan State has been up-and-down.  That could cost them.
Western Michigan is a team that appears to have come out of the woodwork.
Colorado College - Coach o' the year with no play-off experience on the team.
Minnesota - Which team will show up?
Wisconsin - See Minnesota and Michigan State.
Harvard - A #3 seed AT WORST.  No stars, just team defense with team speed.
Clarkson - They ALWAYS come on at the right time.  They've got to keep it going
RPI - A great team's worst nightmare... A bad team's best friend.
Boston University - Depth, #1 D, and hot goaltending cover for lack of snipers.
Lowell - Best 1st line in East with solid goaltending.  Must show up though.
UNH - Except for the setback vs. BU, they're playing great hockey right now.

If anyone disagrees with what I've said, please post it to the list.  Just try
not to get into, "What about MY team?!? <sniff>"   I would really like to hear
what people think will happen.

Tony  BU'92'93
Former Ogre

PS - I apologize to the veteran poster about that last request, I just felt it
had to be put in based on recent "new-comers" to the list and the stupid flame
wars.  I love to read analysis, not "my team's better than your team."