From:
"Rolf T. Kappe" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rolf T. Kappe
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 1994 13:24:53 +0000
Dave Hendrickson writes:

>Tim, I think you are being very unfair.  I don't think BU has been crying
>and complaining at all.  I've been amazed at how Tony and other BU fans
>have been reacting.  I guarantee you, that if my favorite team had finished
>first and the reward for that was having to face what many -- myself
>included -- consider the second or third best team in the league, I'd have
>become a LOT more vocal.  BU is getting shafted BIG time.
>
>As someone else has posted, this is the first time in a LONG time (or maybe
>all of Hockey East, I can't remember) that a team other than BC or Maine has
>finished first.  It seems patently unfair that after BU finally reaches that
>pinacle, that they still get Maine in the first round.
>Of course, life isn't fair.  And compared to kids dying of cancer and whatever
>other tragedies you want to trot out, BU getting the screw doesn't amount to
>a hill of beans.  But since we have so much fun building the Bean Hill of
>college hockey, it's only fair to point out the inequity of it all.

Maybe my concept of the HE playoffs is disturbed by being in CCHA country,
but it is my impression that the 1st round is a best of 3 at the higher
seeds arena, right?  So you get to play your hardest opponent best of 3
at home, instead of single elimination at a neutral site.  This would
seem to be an advantage to me.  But I guess this is only true if your
goal is to win the HE tourney, not not just to make it past the first round.

Oh well, just an observation Wolverine Land.
--------
  Rolf
  U Mich
  BSE '93 MSE '94 PhD '01 (??)

  P.S.  I'm a grad student, and I'm taking more than 6 credit hours ;-)