From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 1994 12:51:15 -0500
John Hughes writes:
>> DEFENSE: Peter Ahola, BU; Greg Brown, BC; Rob Gaudreau, Providence;
>                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Rob is now a forward with the SJ Sharks!

The funny thing is that Gaudreau was also a forward with Providence,
for his first three seasons.  The BBG Line (Mike Boback-Rick
Bennett-Gaudreau) was one of the most famous in PC history.  His
senior year, Gaudreau switched to D because of a lack of scoring on
defense as well as the fact that he was one of the better defensive
forwards in the league.  (He may have played D in high school like
BU's Dave Sacco, I'm not sure.)

Gaudreau was a second team selection of mine, but as a forward.  I bet
many people voted him on D because 1) that's how they remembered him
from his senior year, and 2) there were so many good forwards and a lack
of good Ds, they decided to sneak a guy who was really a forward in on
defense.  Gaudreau is the only player to be named All-Hockey East as a
forward and as a defenseman in two different seasons.

So let's see how long the four selections for HE All-Decade Defense
actually spent on defense:

Ahola: 2 years (pretty sure)
Brown: 3 years
Gaudreau: 1 year
Leetch: 1 year

Ahola, Brown and Leetch all turned pro early.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<< Color Voice of the (14-18-2) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>