Sender:
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1992 12:07:00 EST
Mike Machnik writes:
>I just wanted to point out that in the case of Dartmouth, I believe the
>original nickname was the Indians before it was changed to the Big Green.
>I'm not sure if anything like this happened with any of the other Ivy teams
>whose nickname is a color.

This is indeed the case.  Dartmouth responded to the "political incorrectness"
of Native American team names before it became a huge national issue.

The Minnesota Daily ran an article this semester about U of M teams that
were attempting to adjust their schedules to avoid playing teams with
Native American-based nicknames.  Doug Woog complained that his schedule is
largely set by the WCHA, which doesn't leave much room for adjustment.

Now, did Cornell ever have another name besides Big Red?  They've got that
bear with a "C" on its cap as a mascot.

Pennsylvania is alternatively called the Blue and Red and the Quakers.  Yale
is known as either the Elis or the Bulldogs.

NYU is called the Violets (this really annoys my girlfriend, an NYU student).

-Martin
GO BIG GOLD!!!