Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 00:00:15 -0400
At 10:45 AM -0600 3/17/97, Eeyore wrote:
> Mike Machnik wrote:
>
> > Fans may not know the process, but that doesn't mean the committee doesn't
> > know it.
>
> Besides the committee telling us they have a process, what evidence of
> it do we have?  On the other hand, we have plenty of evidence that they
> don't have a process:
>
>         In 95, Clarkson wins the conference regular season and  tourney
>         but does not get an auto bye.  This year, BU accomplishes the
>         same feat and does get an auto bye.

The rule changed this year.  It is printed in the championships manual.

>         In '94, Michigan and Lake Superior State meet in the
>         quarterfinals to preserve the seedings after the move of
>         Mass-Lowell into the West region.  This year, Minnesota is not
>         allowed to meet North Dakota, instead producing a complete
>         absurdity in the numbers.

Again, my understanding is that the process changed since that time.  It is
not set in stone.  As they say in the financial world, "past performance is
not a predictor of future results." :-)

> I'm sure other people can cite other instances.  The impression left is
> that it is, indeed, made up as they go along.  Mike, I think you're
> being too trusting of the people in charge.  Their words do not match
> their actions.  If the committee has a process that the fans just don't
> know about, it must be unbelievably complex.

I have a copy of four pages from the championships manual which explain how
to select and seed teams for the tournament, and using that and the PWR, I
took some time last night and nearly came up with the same brackets that
the committee did (check my post from last night).  Not everything is
detailed (i.e. how they decided to seed Miami as the home team ahead of
Cornell), but it is pretty comprehensive.

And as best as I can tell, they followed it to the T.  But people are
welcome to disbelieve that if they wish.  And I'm sure they will.

This will probably be about it for me and this discussion.  I understand
the questions people have, but I spent more time on this today than I had
to spend.  It is nothing personal if I do not respond further, or at least
for a few days.  Others are welcome to pick up where I leave off.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****