Sender:
From:
Nick Chapman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 1995 10:40:54 -0400
To follow up on Mike Machnik's comments on new sports at Merrimack, Interim
President Richard Santagati told the Alumni Council on 4/1/95 that 2 new
sports will be added -- Football and Women's Lacrosse. Football will begin in
the Fall of '96. As I understand it, this will be a Division III program with
no recruiting, no assistant coaches & no scholarships. The lacrosse program
which I assume will start at the same time will be a Division II program. It
seems to me that by doing this the college is able to comply with Title IX
 There will be 9 men's sports & 9 women's sports ( 1 in Div 1, 1 in Div 3 &
the rest in Div 2). Obviously, the Div 3 Football will offset Div 1 Hockey to
maintain equity.