Sender:
From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 1994 17:17:27 -0400
<stuff deleted>

> For anyone who has not yet met Tony, it is great to hear (and see) him
> relive the moment that Grier (what, 6-1 250) and McKenna (6-8 225) met
> for the first time on an ice surface last season.  These two big guys
> came at each other with a full head of steam, crashed into each other,
> and then, as Tony puts it, "each one looked at the other as if to say,
> 'Why didn't YOU go down!?'"  You'll walk away feeling that this was
> one of the great moments in college hockey history.
>
> They collided a few more times over the course of the next three
> BU-Merrimack games, and we have three more years of this to look
> forward to. :-)  The great thing about both of these guys is that they
> are big - but not cheap.  They don't get their sticks up, but they
> sure hit hard.  And many a time did I see a hard hit by McKenna turn
> the momentum 180 degrees during a game.
>
> I never saw McKenna put on his back once last season, except for one
> cheap shot from behind.  I doubt anyone put Grier down, either.

Not to go on a tangent or nit-pick... well... OK, to go on a tangent and nit-
pick... :-)

Actually, when Grier is standing still, he is actually a very vulnerable
target.  Grier's balance and short-stepping are, well, among the worst I've
seen in div I.  The key with Grier is that once he gets up a head of steam,
he is deadly.  Seeing someone the size of Andy Silverman getting bounced around
like a basketball with regularity was extremely impressive.  Grier just tends
to easily be knocked down if hit from the side near the boards.  He's probably
the forward most in need of goalie drills for balance in the entire league.

Grier also needs to get emotional to play well.  He either needs to get mad or
at least be playing against a big opponent.  Grier doesn't slam 5'10" guys,
just bumps them.  Grier slams 6'4" guys.  He needs to get "up" for it.

Well, enough of my babling.

Tony  BU'92'93
Former Ogre