Sender:
From:
Bruce Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 1997 16:07:50 -0500
             What the University of Maine has done on the rinks lately is
almost bizarre-if not incredable.  My question is this--can a hockey coach
make that much of a difference?  Maine has played two solid hockey teams
and dominated them  both.
  Even though UNH was short a few players they still had the nucleus of
their offense and a solid goalie.  BU was completely outplayed both nights.
 Coach Walsh must have motivated his players to the point where they felt
they were better than either of these teams.  I am not  really sure how
good Maine is but I doubt that they have the talent of either of the teams
they beat recently.  I am a UNH fan but I really admire what Maine has done
over the past month.
  The facts show that Shawn Walsh cheated and got caught.  Maine has payed
its price and hopefully the subject can be dropped after this year and they
can move on.  If Coach Walsh can run a clean program then Maine deserves to
be credited for what it has done and will do in the future.  He certainly
can coach.
  Next year will be a new beginning for the Maine Hockey program and
hopefully the media and the people of Maine will support them.
   For the remainder of this year let's get behind the teams from Hockey
East as they head into the playoffs.  College hockey is a great spectator
sport ---- it keeps us from going insane during March.