Sender:
From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 09:31:53 -0400
I have to disagree with the following from Brian Morris:

>What makes Union different this year is a team that has listened to the
>preaching of its freshman coach: boring, defensive hockey can win games.
>The success of this year's edition is undeniable; the Dutchman are in the
>unaccostomed position of challenging for a top four finish in the ECAC,
>with major wins over teams like Princeton and Clarkson.

The Union team that I saw beat Harvard 4-2 did it by outhustling and
outskating the Crimson, two things that the Engineers failed to do the
following night. Union played aggresive positionally, was in Harvard's
face all night, but didn't look like a "clutch-and-grab" club, as Brian
also alleges. In addition, Ken Schott, who covers Union for the local paper,
told me that he thought that one of Stan Moore's biggest contributions was
to give the players more room to be creative -- something that seemed
to be the case against Harvard (and which Richard Hungerford complimented
in his post regarding that game).

On an entirely unrelated note, I watched periods 1 and 2 of Minnesota/St.
Cloud on Friday night and period 3 and overtime of BC/BU. Two great games,
players just beating the (expletive here) of each other -- for the most
part, cleanly. The best player in either game was Matt Cullen, who has
impressed the heck out of me in the two St. Cloud games I've seen. Great
hands, great shot, big hitter, works hard every shift -- future Hobey
finalist, for sure. I also noticed that Marty Reasoner finally cought Brian
Callahan for the BC team lead in points. At last the world is as it should
be :-).

Geoff Howell