Sender:
From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 1994 18:57:23 EST
Friday night at Bright I saw the best men's game I have seen this
season.  The Engineers put on quite a show and at the end of the
second period I thought they would go on to win the match.  In the
end, the Crimson managed to finish off more of their scoring chances
and thus win a great contest.

Harvard opened the scoring in the first with a power play goal by Sean
McCann (Chris Baird, Derek Maguire).  Some quick puck movement setup a
blast from the weakside, followed by McCann's rebound.  RPI tied the
match when Craig Hamelin scored his first goal of the night after a
scrum behind the net left a puck floating out front.  The Engineers
went ahead when Hamelin (Ron Pasco) on a break in play spread the
Harvard D.  Hamelin then took the puck out of the corner and tucked it
in at the far post.  The Crimson tied the match at two when Brian
Farrell (Lou Body, Baird) knocked in a rebound on a broken play.
In the second period, Harvard regained the lead when Farrell (Maguire,
Steve Martins) scored a power play goal putting in a rebound after a
shot from the point.  RPI tied the match with another power play goal
when Pasco (Kelly Askew, Hamelin) also got a rebound up and in after
a shot from the point.  In the third period, Tom Homes (Maguire)
put the Crimson ahead when he finished off an excellent pass by
Maguire.  The play was made by the smart move of Cory Gustafson who
had blocked a shot on his own net and then provide the break out pass.
Joe Craigen (Ashlin Halfnight, Ian Kennish) tapped in an excellent
setup from Halfnight to make the lead 5-3.  Halfnight had exploded
up ice and deked by the D before dishing off the perfect pass.  Love-
ly goal!  Ben Coughlin (Jason Karmanos) shot home for Harvard after
a defensive give away.  That play was made by Karmanos holding onto
the puck just long enough for Coughlin to get open.  RPI tried to
come back when Hamelin (Pasco) got his hat trick with a shot from
the right wing boards. The Engineers made it even more interesting
when they made the score 6-5 when Xavier Majic (Ron Pasco) finished
off a powerful break in play.  At the time Harvard was seating on its
lead, as usual.  The Crimson finished the scoring when Baird got an
empty net goal after RPI's face-off in the Harvard zone failed.  It
was a great match!

RPI played super!  Their fast skating and angle passes to the back-
door were wonderful to watch.  I was talking with fellow Hockey-Ler's
Julian and Lloyd & Co. at the end of the second period, and at the
time I was convinced the Engineers were destine to win the game.  They
were playing so well in that second period, totally outskating the
Crimson.  They just seemed to have an edgy quality to their play that
I though would be enough to give them the match.  The turning point
was the start of the third when Harvard got the two quick goals.  That
slowed down RPI.  When the third came soon afterwards I knew it was
over, but the Engineers still made a fight out of it, skating all the
way to the end.  Good show!  I thought Craig Hamelin had to be their
best player on the ice.  His speed, scoring touch and overall gutsy
performance was brilliant stuff.  Ron Pasco was not far behind with
some excellent skating and passing.  Wayne Clarke and Xavier Majic
are also two special forwards.  They can get it moving.  Another
player I thought was exciting was Kelly Askew.  That kid can motor!
On D I liked the smart play of Chris Kiley and Patrick Rochon.  I
would suggest that the RPI power play consider faking the shot
and making the intelligent setup pass for the easy goal more often.
Still, it was a marvelous game, and RPI was stellar.

Harvard looked very vulnerable in this game.  They used a lot of dump
and chase and the every popular "let's get a big rebound".  Their
amazing start to the third period is what won the game.  Overall
they broke too late and did much too much watching and reaching.  The
outstanding player on the ice for Harvard had to be Ashlin Halfnight.
He has toned down his style somewhat so it better messes with the
team.  The result last night was some dazzling skating and incredible
dishes.  Add to that the ability to give and take the big hit and you
might see why I say: This kid is worth twice the price of admission!
Fellow defenders Sean McCann and Lou Body both had excellent games.
Providing good D, rushes and general energy for the team.  Peter
McLaughlin also had a great night on D.  He broke up several cross-
ice backdoor RPI passes that he shouldn't have even seen, let alone
break up.  Well done!  Ian Kennish and Joe Craigen welcomed Marco
Ferrari to the fourth line.  The result was wonderful skating all
night by the threesome.  As a line they are playing very good hockey.
Cory Gustafson was giving us some good skating and making the heads
up play.  I still feel he is just a little extra effort away from
doing tremendous plays.  Ben Coughlin had another excellent game.
His skating and smart play seems to hold his line together.  Overall,
despite being in a hole after the second period, Harvard was able
to come back and make the most of its scoring chances.  It was a
pleasure to watch two teams play so well.

/
 good shooting
 rhun