From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1993 10:44:00 PST
A couple of comments regarding NC$$ rules of little importance and there
enforcement, or reasonable lack thereof.

I was at Lawson Arena in Kalamazoo MI (Western Mich Univ) last weekend.  The
new ice surface, boards, glass, et al looks sharp!  However, the boards do
have their share of advertising.  In fact, every away game I've attended
this season has been to an arena which carries ads around the boards
(Carlson Center in Fairbanks, Norris Center/Arena in Sault Ste Marie,
Lawson).  I was under the impression that the NC$$'s "white board" rule
applied to campus arenas as well as NC$$ administered games (i.e.
post-season tourney).

Maybe the above should be in the "Who Cares!?" file, but the following
interested me more.  Last year there was a discussion on Hockey-L regarding
the NC$$'s ban of having any numerals on the uniform other than those
attributed to that participant (or something to that effect).  In fact, I
thought the NC$$ specifically stated that events such as honoring a fallen
teammate by wearing his/her uniform number anywhere on your uniform was a
direct violation of NC$$ rule.  (This rule falls in the "Don't These Guys
Have Anything Better To Do" department.)  Well, on Friday night, Western
Michigan's players were all wearing a small "20" on their sleeve.  I'm not
sure why.  The point is, to my knowledge no one was offended by it.  Why
should it be a violation?  Did the radio guy say, "And number 20 has
it...and he passes off to number 20...?"  If so, he/she's and idiot.

Could it actually be that the NC$$ is opting not to enforce one of its own
anal rules?  Three cheers (maybe) for the bestowing of logic and common
sense within the ranks of the NC$$!

As for WMU, I hope they continue to wear "20" because it obviously means
something to them.  (And I'm interesting in knowing what, if anyone has the
story.)

  John H
  U Mich

P.S. To Maine fans:  Are the Black Bears wearing anything in remembrance of
the former player who passed away recently?  If they are, good for them!
 The NC$$ doesn't need to dictate at this level.