From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1993 12:56:13 -0600
I had forgotten that Carol wasn't at the Friday night UMD-Minnesota game.
As I indicated, that was another terrific game, (except that the Gophers
didn't win, of course!:-))  The Gophers took the early lead 1-0 after the
first period, and lead 2-1 after the second, but UMD scored 3 third-period
goals to the Gophers' one to make it a 4-3 final.  Gopher fans were much
happier in defeat this time around than at the Mariucci Classic.  It was a
well-played game by both teams.  UMD's top line of Derek Plante, Rusty
Fitzgerald, and Chris Marinucci scored 3 of their 4 goals.  It was good
to see that their top line is all northeastern Minnesota boys (they have
8 Canadians on the team, but these guys are from Cloquet, Duluth, and
Grand Rapids.)

One additional thing.  President Bush named his final (and 1020th) point of
light.  It's the Mariucci Inner City Hockey Starter Association in St. Paul.
We've lamented from time-to-time on the list that hockey is an expensive
program for young poor kids to get started in, and this is a program to let
6-8 year-olds try the game with donated equipment and ice-time.  (It's also
named for former Gopher coach John Mariucci-- sort of a college hockey
tie-in.)  Congratulations to them!

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!