Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1993 13:18:06 -0500
Classic psychology experiment, and it works every time. Show two sets
of fans the tape of a game between their respective teams, and ask
them to count the number of infractions (this works best with
basketball, because the camera captures far more of the mayhem than
in hockey). I leave what happens as an exercise for the reader.

Selective perception is real, and "knowledge of the sport" is a
fractional influence compared to "identification with a participant".
Add to this the fact that, as Mike points out, we don't watch the
opponent as carefully, so about the only infractions we see are puck
carriers getting hauled down, or their guy in front of our goalie
having his stick held.

Personally, I think the ECAC officials are impartially visually
impaired. The critical test is whether John Gallagher costs *every*
team one game a season.

Greg
Snowed in in Somerville (with the Memphis blues again..?)
Let's Go Red! (They'll have to do it without me tonight.)