From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 1992 14:25:23 EDT
I thought the HE game drew better because:

* some ECAC fans left after first game
* Maine & UNH had probably most rabid fans in East this year (sorry, Cornell)
  as evidenced by showing in Providence too, and not nearly as far to travel
  (a case for moving to the Knick)
* Maine & UNH fans started showing up halfway though ECAC game
* most local fans knew more about Maine/UNH than SLU/Cornell, or were HE fans,
  so they showed up halfway through too.

I understand the traditional reasons for staying at the Garden, but soon
(maybe) the Garden will be gone anyway.  If the ECAC can make a lot more money
by moving the tourney to a place where many more fans will go, I think it
should, although I'd be sad to see it go since I wouldn't be able to see the
games any more.  The ECAC has to do what is best for it, and it is not in
the same situation it once was with most of its Boston-area teams now in HE.

If this happens, I would not be surprised to see the HE Final Four return
to BC where it was in 1989.  Chances of a sellout are greater, operating
costs are drastically lower, and it is still a central site (although any
site is still not far from any school except Maine).  However, the goal
throughout the years has been to "get to the Garden" or "get to Providence"
(when it was held at the Civic Center).  I think the league would have a
great deal of difficulty leaving the Garden.  And, I can't imagine what it
would be like with high school holding its championships at the Garden but
Hockey East moving to Conte Forum!  A nice rink, but it doesn't have the
mystique of the Garden.

Still, back to the question of tradition.  That isn't going to affect the
quality of the games one bit.  The one year HE held its FF at BC, the first
semi between BC/PC was decided in double ot; the other semi was won by Maine
in ot after 1:00 am; PC beat NU in the consolation by one goal in a game
that decided which of the two was headed to the NC$$ tourney; and Maine
beat the host Eagles 5-4 to win its first-ever title in front of a sellout-plus
crowd.  With all due respect to last year and 1985, THAT was probably the
best HE FF ever.  And it was at a campus site.

Then again, this year was the first year ever that HE did NOT make some kind
of change in its postseason tourney, either in format or location.  They must
be itching to do something different. :-)

- mike