From:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2011 10:37:38 -0500
Dave Geringer							Sports Information Director
201 C Tripp Athletic Center					[log in to unmask]
       HOCKEY BLANKED AT SALEM STATE, 5-0
SALEM, MA-Host Salem State scored four goals in the third period and defeated the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth's hockey team, 5-0,  in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference game at the Rockett Arena Thursday evening.
The Vikings broke the game open when they scored three times within a span of 1:44 late in the third period. Mike Genovese scored a power play goal at 11:11, Giancarlo Capodanno followed with another power play goal at 11:42, and Josh Franklin made it 5-0 with a goal at 12:55.
Derek Crocker gave the Vikings a 1-0 lead when he scored at 8:14 of the first period, and Ian Flanagan made it 2-0 at 7:15 of the third period. The Corsairs held Salem State scoreless in the second period, despite being outshot 15-1.
"We just played very poorly," said UMass Dartmouth Head Coach John Rolli. "They scored in the first period off an end zone face-off, they dominated the second period, and we gave up a couple of power play goals in the third period. We just got outworked in all aspects of the game, and Salem State was just the better team tonight. It will be interesting to see how we respond when we come back to practice, and against Westfield Saturday."
The Vikings outshot UMass Dartmouth, 41-15. Senior goaltender Collin Tracy (Medford, MA/Medford HS) made 30 saves for UMD, while freshman Ben Vandervies (Hanna, AB/Golden Rockets-KJHL) made six while allowing the final SSU goal. James LaCour made 15 saves for the Vikings in recording the shutout.
UMD dropped to 8-3-1 and 4-2-1 in the MASCAC with the defeat, while SSU improved to 10-3-0 and 5-2-0 with the victory. UMass Dartmouth will return to action when they host Westfield State Saturday. The Vikings will host Plymouth State Saturday.
UMASS DARTMOUTH HOCKEY