From:
Dean Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1992 13:30:55 CST
Some of my thoughts on the NCAA tournament:

- The games were played in front of thousands of empty seats and no television
coverage. These regional sites obviously didn't work. A year ago today I was
totally in favor of this format ... I have changed my mind. I think the
games should be played at campus sites in front of huge crowds with, at the
very least, local television coverage.

- I think the single elimination format provides an exciting setup for playoff
games at a regional site. But the regional site format did not work, if the
games are played at campus sites I think the best 2 out of 3 format is better.
If a team is going to travel half way across the country, they should get to
play at least two games.

- The higher seed byes did not seem to be an advantage. I don't think any of
the teams in the tournament should get a bye, I don't think any of the teams
in the tournament *want* a bye. For that reason the 12 team tournament does not
work. The NCAA should either go to a 16-team 3 weekend format or go back to
an 8-team 2 weekend format. Personally, I would prefer the 8-team tournament,
I don't believe 16 teams deserve to make the tournament.

- Last, the way the teams were seeded caused an all western final four. I think
the top 2 teams in the east should be seeded 1E and 2E and the top two teams
in the west should be seeded 1W and 2W. Then the remaining teams should be
seeded where they deserve to be *regardless* of what area of the country they
come from.

-- Therefore, what I propose is an 8-team tournament with the top two eastern
teams and the top two western teams hosting a best 2 of 3 series against the
next 4 best teams in the country. The winner of those four series's will go
to the final four. Personally, I would like to see the semifinals and finals
played at campus sites and best 2 of 3, but the final four site works and there
is TV coverage, so I would say to leave that as it is.

Just my opinion, of course.

-Dean