From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2010 19:14:33 -0500
Wow... a mixed bag of rule changes:

- I am not sure about the head contact rule. Making it an automatic
  major might have the opposite effect of what is desired -- in some
  cases nothing will be called in situations where a minor could have
  been called in the past. we shall see...

- penalized teams can't ice the puck. I don't like this change, and I
  don't like the stated reason:

     "In keeping with the committees philosophy to encourage skill and
     create scoring chances, this change will enhance power-play
     opportunities, Karr said. After lengthy discussion, the committee
     concluded that the previous rule inappropriately provided relief for
     a team that committed an infraction.

  I like encouraging skill. I don't see that college hockey needs to
  "create scoring chances" (isn't that the player's responsibility?).
  This is a huge bonus to teams on the power play.

- the "anticipated touch icing" makes sense. It will look strange at
  first, but it moves the race for the puck and the potential slam into
  the boards out 15 feet...

The really surprising rule change to me is the one that allows a goal on
the delayed penalty AND still awards a power play. Um, "creating more
scoring opportunities" because someone in marketing said so?

Fortunately, we don't get shootouts.

  --david