From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1992 13:00:50 EST
SEVENS ARE WILD IN THE "T" COLUMN
Yale, Michigan State and Ferris State have tied the NC$$ record for ties in a
season with 7.  I think only one other team has tied 7 games in a season
before 1991-92, that being Minnesota-Duluth either last year or the year
before.  No 1989-90 or 1990-91 stats on hand.

TOPSY TURVY ECAC
What a weekend in the ECAC.  Harvard loses to Clarkson Fri and thus
Clarkson can win the ECAC with a win over Brown and an SLU win over Harvard
on Saturday.  SLU leads Harvard throughout the whole game and so all Clarkson
needs to do is win its home game with Brown.  But as Dana Carvey/Bush would
say, "Not gonna do it."  Now look who #3 Clarkson gets to host in the
quarterfinals - #6 Brown!

ONE ECAC TEAM IN NC$$?
Looking at the NC$$ poll and some other factors, and the losses suffered by
top ECAC teams in the last couple of weeks, there seem to be four Hockey
East teams ranked above the 2nd ECAC team (and in some cases, above the
1st ECAC team).  Since the West has consistently had six or more teams
ranked higher than many of the East teams, only five teams will likely go
from the East, and so there is even a better chance this year than there was
last year of the ECAC sending only one team to the tourney.  I'm not
expressing an opinion on this one way or the other, just saying that the new
NC$$ poll has the following:

2 Maine
5 BU
8 Harvard
9 PC
11 UNH
13 Clarkson
14 Yale
15 SLU

and other factors like strength of schedule, etc. push Harvard down even
further, so it is conceivable that if Harvard wins the ECAC tourney,
only one ECAC team will go in favor of a fourth HE team or another West
team.  But I am inclined to think politics will prevent this from
happening, meaning at least one deserving team will probably get to watch
on tv.

- mike