From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1992 23:06:03 EST
Eric writes:
>Many thanks to Bill Fenwick, I stand corrected.  The first tie for RPI
>was in the quarter finals of the NC$$ tourney and I believe it was to
>Lake Superior.  It was the second night of play in the best of 3 ( I
>think - please correct me if I am wrong).

After winning thirty straight, including a 7-3 win in the first night of the
NC$$ Quarterfinal series against Lake Superior (two games, total goals - best
of three was not instituted until the 1989 NC$$'s) in 1985, RPI went on to
beat Minnesota-Duluth in 3 ots in the semifinal, 6-5 (John Carter's winner),
and Providence, 2-1, in the championship game.  They carried a 32-0-1 streak
into the 1985-86 season.

The Engineers began the 1985-86 season in the following way:

Toronto 2 at RPI 12 (banner-raising night)
RPI 9 at Merrimack 5 (trailed 4-3 late in the 2nd)
Union 3 at RPI 6
RPI 4 at St Lawrence 3 (ot)
RPI 1 at Clarkson 1 (ot, somehow I ended up with the official RPI game tape
  for this game which is in my archives)

for a 36-0-2 mark, then they had the streak broken by losing to Yale, 8-5,
in Houston Field House.  They went on to win their next six, BTW, before
bowing to Michigan State, 8-3, in the final of the GLI.  So they ended up
losing only one of 45 games during that stretch.
---
Mike Machnik        [log in to unmask]       [log in to unmask]