From:
Helga Dimitrov <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 14:31:37 -0500
Mike wrote:

>Also, on the rivalry...I have had many BU fans tell me they don't
>perceive much of a rivalry with Maine.  Not anywhere near the rivalry
>with BC, anyway.  They think that because both teams are good, it
>makes for exciting hockey, but the years that Maine, BU & BC were all
>good (1990-92 or so), there was no comparing a BU-Maine game with a
>BU-BC game in the eyes of most BU fans.  That was the impression I got
>watching those games as an outside observer, too.  Even today, BU
>people say they still prefer beating a weaker BC team to beating a
>better Maine team. :-)

The weird part is, BU thinks trouncing BC is big, but the BC people I know
*always* claim that BU is not their big hockey rival. I don't know what
team they claim as their equal in The Big Rivalry. (Anyone out there know?)
BU/Maine will never be the biggie in the "avg." BU fans' eyes because
1)Orono is not a T ride away--most people haven't been there for a
game--and 2)there is a definite bigger-picture us vs. them mentality with
BU/BC that Maine won't ever figure into. As a hockey fan, I'll take the win
over the better Maine team. As an alum, give me the Golden Eagle's beak on
a platter.
Helga Dimitrov
CWRU Magazine, Office of Public Affairs
Case Western Reserve University
235 Yost Hall, 216/368-6949 voice, -4835 fax