From:
Rick Feldhoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick Feldhoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 1994 18:09:03 EDT
Associate Professor of Biochemistry
Phone: (502)852-5752; Fax: (502)852-6222

LSSU was clearly getting the best of many face-offs at the HOCKEY Final Four,
but I don't know if what they were doing is new or routinely used during the
season (?).

In their defensive zone against BU and at even strength; Let's say as the
goalie, Lacher, would view a face-off to his right:

       LW   LD (Edge of..Center.....)RD
            RW  (circle............)

 LACHER

The RD took the BU LW out of the play; the LD took the BU RW out and the LSSU
RW went in to help the C control the puck (2 on 1 on the BU C) or depending on
where the puck goes; the RW heads to right boards and BU LD. The LSSU LW heads
toward BU RD or to left boards to start offensive breakout. At least in the
1st period, this was done to perfection (I haven't looked at rest of tape).

If BU had scouted this, in advance, it strikes me that the LSSU scheme can be
beaten fairly easily by setting the BU wings up away from the LSSU defensemen
in any of several fairly common alignments off the face-off circle. Whether or
not the puck comes to the wing, they can interfere with LSSU (mildly of course)
RW and LW efforts and gain an advantage if the LSSU defensemen try to stay
with them.

Perhaps some of our lurking coaches or their assistants or other hockey-L
strategists could comment on the effectiveness of the LSSU face-off scheme
and the apparent inability to combat it. (?)

I also noticed that LSSU forwards run a great pick play on opposing D's in the
offensive end which resulted in 2 goals,but let's wait on that one.