From:
James Old <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Old <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 1994 14:56:03 EST
>The change in position by the NCAA is attributed to the visit to the
>White House by the University of Maine hockey team last April.  They were
>the first team to visit the White House, and President Bill Clintonsaid
>that their visit "opened his eyes to the wonderful sport of hockey."

Yes, I realize that this was not serious, but I wanted to point out that
Maine's '93 title team was not the first college hockey team to visit the
White House.  Lake Superior's team got a Rose Garden audience with the
President, I believe after their '88 championship (my memory is REALLY bad
so it might not have been until '92).  At the time, the media reported this
to be the first such meeting with the President for a NC$$ Championship Hockey
Team.

James Old