From:
"MICHAEL L. BOHLER" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MICHAEL L. BOHLER
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 1994 14:09:01 -0500
[This message is converted from WPS-PLUS to ASCII]

This amusing and discouraging series of events happend to me last friday in
my attempt to find someplace where I could watch the first round of the ncaa
college hockey playoffs.  I thought other hockey-ler's might find it
interesting, as it denotes the state of college hockey coverage in Dayton,
Ohio.

I assumed that the only way I could pick up the games locally were via
satellite.  Being satellite-less, I headed to a local sports pub.  My first
stop was Urban's - a couple of satellite dishes, 20-some odd monitors, and a
half dozen mixers, no sweat.  I get there a little after 5pm, and ask the
barmaid if they can find the Wisc/WMich game.  Other patrons overhear me and
express intrest.  No luck.  Tim, thier satellite maestro, won't be in 'till
6.  But if he can find it, he'll put it on.

Thinking I would miss to much of the game, I went home and called another
so-called sports pub, Damon's.  I spoke to a male voice in the "sports
booth".

(From memory)
ME:  Do you have the college hockey game on?

VOICE:  Right now we have on two golf matches, the news, and _______.  (I
forget what the fourth thing was, but it wasn't hockey).

ME:  Well, can you put it on?

VOICE:  No, we got basketball coming up, people want to watch the college
basketball games.

(At this point I'll mention that this particular place has multiple banks of
four monitors around the pub and four large screens.  They have the
capability of showing four different broadcasts on each of the banks, and
every seat in the place has a clear view of at least one big screen and four
monitors.  Confused?)

ME:  You've got four channels and there will only be two games on at any one
time.  Put the hockey game on one of the other two channels.

VOICE:  No, we have to put the games on all channels.  Someone in the corner
might not be able to see one of the monitors.

ME:  That's crazy.  I've been there and you can see any bank of monitors
from any spot in the place.  Besides, I've got a bunch of guys who want to
watch the hockey game.  (I lied.)

VOICE:  No, we have to have basketball on.

ME:  Can't you put hockey on until basketball comes on?

VOICE:  Naw, we'd just have to switch to basketball when it comes on and
you'd miss the end of your game.  It wouldn't be worth it for you.

ME:  Look, it's only 5:30.  I could watch hockey until basketball is on.
Can't you even check to see if you can get it?

VOICE:  Okay, I'll look.  (A minute later...)  No, I don't see it.

ME:  Thanks anyway.  (I hang up.)

I should have asked to speak to the manager and pressed my case, but I was
too frustrated and opted to get out of town for some camping.  I think I'll
call him today and discuss this.  Tell him he lost some big $$.  My mistake
wa not going back to the first place.

Even though I will watch the finals at a friends on saturday, I think I'll
call Damon's again and ask if they will show it.

An added note, yesterdays' Dayton Daily News finally printed last weekends'
results and the semifinal pairings.

[This message is converted from WPS-PLUS to ASCII]

******* Michael Bohler *******   |\^/|   ** [log in to unmask] **
******* (513) 255-4952 ******* >_./|\._< ***** Wright Laboratory ******

------- End of Forwarded message