From:
Jeremy D Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeremy D Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1993 01:10:06 -0500

The ACHA is the national organization for club-level hockey teams (i.e.
non-varsity).  The American Collegiate Hockey Association consists of two
divisions (Div. I and II).

And now, on to the question:  Why is Penn State NOT in NCAA Division I?  If
you ask me, there are no reasons.  But I'm not in charge here :^)

According to Dr. Ray Lombra, Assistant Coach of the Penn State Icers, a lot
of it has to do with the budget cuts here at PSU (10% across the board) and
Title IX (of course, if women's soccer were also raised, and then plans for a
women's hockey team...).  Besides, we all know who's in charge of sports:  not
the AD (this and what follows is ONLY my opinion).  It's FOOTBALL, and, Joe
Paterno (of course, let me say that Paterno has done A LOT to raise money for
academic pursuits, but as far as other sports go...).  Personally, I think
the football team should be scaled back ACROSS THE BOARD in Division I-A (c'mon,
who needs 100 players on a roster?).  The other problem we have here is a lack
of Div. I type facilities (the Ice Pavilion seats only 1,074, and standing
room only pushes the total to 1,400).  Supposedly, the new Bryce Jordan Center
(scheduled to be completed in 1995-96) has seating arrangements for ice hockey,
so maybe they're thinking about it.  THey ought to if they're not.

 *       Jeremy Hall          [log in to unmask]          Penn State Univ.     *
 *                CLARKSON GOLDEN KNIGHTS:  1991 ECAC CHAMPIONS              *
 *                              PENN STATE ICERS:                            *
 *      1992-93 ATLANTIC COLLEGIATE HOCKEY LEAGUE REGULAR SEASON CHAMPS      *
 *                      1993 ACHL TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONS                       *
 *     LET'S GO TECH!!!!                                LET'S GO ICERS!!     *