From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1992 17:43:13 EST
This was sent to me by Steve Kapetanakis, who is on hockey-d now.  I'm
forwarding it to the list because I think it will interest many people.
- mike
Chet Gladchuk, BC's AD, was on with Dale Arnold on
WEEI this afternoon.  They were talking about BC athletics
in general, but one caller asked Chet about the hockey
program in particular.  The caller wanted to know if BC
was ever going to change their policy on recruiting kids
from outside the US.

Gladchuk's response was very interesting.  He basically
said that BC's ultimate goal was to win a national
championship.  And that Steve Cedorchuk was free
to do whatever he had to, within the guidelines of the
NC$$ rules, to accomplish that goal.  He specifically
stated that it was time for BC Hockey to come into the
90's and that there were no self imposed rules govorning
who may or may not be recruited.  Recruiting academically
eligible Canadians or Europeans was now a viable possibility.

The caller then asked about Alumni reaction to any change
in "tradition".  Gladchuk responded by saying that although
tradition was important, striving for excellence was more
important, and that Alumni would have to adjust.

I'm paraphrasing all of this from memory, but that's the
jist of the discussion.

-kap
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*