From:
Mark Grassl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1992 11:27:20 CDT
Dan writes:
>Dean, I don't thingk you'll have to worry about any great hockey players
>coming out of the state of Wisconsin (except maybe Marty Wiitala from
>Superior).
???????????????????????????????????????
	Wisconsin boys:  Mark Johnson
			 Craig Ludwig
			 Gary Suter
			 Bob Suter
			 Marc Behrend
			 Lane MacDonald
			 Barry Richter
			 etc.
>Sauer does a good job (being the Minnesota boy that he is) considering the
>Minnesota players he gets are usually 2nd rate.
??????????????????????????????????????????
	Second rate players:  Sean Hill
	(from Minn.)	      Paul Ranheim
			      Jim and John Johannson
			      Mark Osiecki
			      etc.

	I must have missed the smileys that were meant to go along with the
	above comments.  Of course, Wisconsin does not produce anywhere
	near the number of players that Minn. does but your knowledge of
	Wis. natives seems a bit thin.  As far as Wis. recruiting 2nd rate
	Minn players, I suppose only those kids who want to win a NCAA
	championship come to Wis. nowadays.  (My apologies to Erik, Carol,
	Pam, and other informed Gopher fans but sometimes cheap shots are
	necessary.)

>The whole point of offering a scholarship to an athlete is SUPPOSED to be
>for educating him.  In that case, the benefit should be given to
>citizens of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.  Not foreigners.  Period.
>Maybe that's why people think they should recruit instate.

	Perhaps you see some logic in these statements but I doubt if many
	other people do.  If the point is to educate athletes, why do you
	feel that foreign athletes don't qualify for this education?  I am
	sure that UM, SCSU, and UMD are just like Wis. in welcoming students
	of all nationalities because it fosters a broader range of ideas.
	As a graduate student, surely you must come across journal articles
	that are written by foreigners.  Or is this personally verboten?

---mark grassl