From:
"Craig A. McGowan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig A. McGowan
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1992 15:08:48 EST
Its good to see that, after last year, the East doesn't have a monopoly on
gloating...

... and you miss the point as well.  I stick by my questioning of the
ranking of 8-18 BGSU over 18-8 Clarkson (for example) at one point in the
season.  Its not that TCHCR is biased.  TCHCR takes a sampling of data, and
makes an estimate of the relative rankings of teams.  There is no way that a
sampling method becomes more accurate when the number of samples becomes
smaller.

My interest is in working out some parameter which will tell us the standard
deviation of a teams ranking, and comparing this to previous years.  If you
consider this goal a personal attack on Keith, than I think you misread my
intentions.

Anyway, East-West bashing is fun, especially if you are from the west this
year.  I would like to look at North-South bashing next.  It would seem like
there is an even better case for North better than South.  Look at it this
way:

	HE: Maine (Northernmost HE Team), UNH (probably second northernmost)
	ECAC: St. Lawrence, Clarkson (virtually tied for northernmost ECAC)
	CCHA: Lake Superior (northernmost CCHA?)
	WCHA: Northern Michigan (northernmost WCHA?)

I'll let someone else more familiar with CCHA & WCHA geography fill in the
details, since I am not sure if there are any teams farther north of LSSU or
NMU.
--
Craig