From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1992 10:59:25 CST

>I think that teams are aided when fans show support especially on the
>road - so why is MSU having trouble in Joe Louis Arena when so many "State"
>fans show?
>
>William Krebs

Sounds like the same thing as the Gophers' St. Paul Civic Center problems.
I wonder if it's just not too much pressure.  The combination of regular
playoff pressure plus the burden of expectations of (in Minnesota's case
at least) some very demanding fans.  Throw in constant reminders that,
although they should be favored, they seem to be jinxed there and you've
got a lot of pressure for a bunch of 20-year-olds to handle.  Once something
goes wrong, maybe the "jinx" thing in the back of their minds causes panic
to set in.

Then again, what do I know about all this psychological stuff.  I'm an
engineer.

Pam
Go Gophers!!!
1991-1992 WCHA Champs!!!