From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:49:02 -0500
I wouldn't be surprised if minor league and college hockey attendance
was up slightly this year, although most NHL cities are not college
hockey hotbeds.  However, here is an interesting point to ponder:
Suppose the NHL goes out of business. Or more likely, suppose that the
NHL abandons their expansion plans and actually cuts back on the
number of teams, trying to consolidate their profit in the cities
where hockey is popular.  With the resulting decrease in the number
players that will make it to the NHL, I wonder if the number of kids
who play junior, prep school or college hockey will decrease. Some
number of athletes compete at the college level for the pure love of
the sport with no intentions of ever playing professionally after
their college careers.  However, there are significant numbers of
athletes who play college hockey with the intent of being scouted,
drafted and signed to professional contracts. I wonder if a decreased
number of roster spots in the NHL would cause these "career minded"
hockey players to reconsider their choices.