From:
Jon Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1992 09:49:05 EST

>  >  I cannot recall a true NHL fight in an ECAC game.

I can't recall having seen a true fight (thank goodness), although I can
remember some RPI games in the late 70s and early 80s where they came
close.

The worst incident that I am aware of occurred between Northeastern and
Colgate in the early 80s (81-82?).  They were playing at Colgate and a
brawl broke out which apparently spilled into the stands.  The referees
called the game at that point.

I didn't see the game, but I did see the make-up.  The league feared
more violence so the make-up game was played at RPI (approx. 1/2 way
between).  Surprisingly, about 500 RPI fans showed up for the game.  At
least I'm assuming most were RPI fans based on the traditional singing
of the alma mater before the start of the third period.  Probably the
only time you'd ever hear another school's alma mater sung at a hockey
game.

Jon