From:
Indy Rutks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Indulis R Rutks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 21:45:51 -0400
On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 Dan Doucette wrote...

>Kevin Ames appears to have been following Mike Barnicle's travails:
>
>>>From Charlie Walters:
>
>Question:  Who is he ???

I like to think of Charlie "Shooter" Walters as "The Good Sports Columnist
of the Twin Cities" (St. Paul Pioneer Press). [for your future
reference, "The Wicked Sports Columnist of the Twin Cities" would be
"Grandpa Sports" Sid Hartman (Mpls. Star-Tribune)]

Now, who is Mike Barnicle?

>>Defenseman Ben Clymer, 20, who would have been a junior, left the hockey
>>Gophers as their top academic student (3.41 grade-point average) for the
>>Western Hockey League's Seattle Thunderbirds, who begin their exhibition
>>season this week against the Edmonton Kings.
>
>Which causes us to reflect on Ames' earlier post of 8/17 (copied below):
>
>>Gophers athletes posted an all-time high grade-point average of 2.84 in
>>the fall and repeated that in the winter and spring quarters. The
>>Gophers athletes have improved .20 grade-points since 1990 and are
>>within .20 of the totals of the women athletes.
>
>Questions:
>
>Can Ames or Walters offer the name of the dummy who posted no better than
>2.27 (barely passing) GPA to offset Clymer and result in the overall 2.84
?

You mean there were only *2* Gopher athletes last year? No wonder it was
such a bad year for U of MN sports fans!

-Indy Rutks ([log in to unmask])