From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 20:25:53 -0400
Kevin Ames <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> Troy J Taylor wrote:
> > Kevin Ames <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> > > Winny Brodt, the MVP at the women's national championships and a
> > > Roseville MN native, was seen touring campus with Gopher coach Laura
> > > Halldorson today (7/13/98).
> >
> > Seeing how UNH hasnt released her yet from her scholorship, it is a major
> > NCAA violation to have a coach contact a player or have the player visit
> > the campus and be given a tour by the coach....so I would watch what you
> > say here Kevin..
>
> Then tell me why playing on a goodwill team or an all star team for
> another
> coach that practices at a campus site isn't a violation.  (1998 USA
> Challenge
> Team, 1998 Goodwill Games men's basketball team, etc.)  Is this a
> violation?

Well, certainly these things happen -- like the WCHA all star team this
summer -- so there is a provision in the rules somewhere for it, although I
can't find where it might explain contact between the coaches and players
of other schools.  It makes sense, however, that a coach is allowed to
coach another player in an all-star game but not "recruit" that player.

The coaches likely know that questions would be asked if a player
transferred to his/her school after playing for the coach in an all-star
game.  It's just too obvious and too much of a risk to take, because the
issue will be raised.

Still, that's not the situation here.  This is what the NCAA Manual says
about transfer students and contact with other schools:

"Rule 13.1.1.3 Four-Year College Prospects.  An athletics staff member or
other representative of the institution's athletics interests shall not
make contact with the student-athlete of another four-year collegiate
institution, directly or indirectly, without first obtaining the written
permission of the first institution's athletics director (or an athletics
administrator designated by the athletics director) to do so, regardless of
who makes the initial contact.  If permission is not granted, the second
institution shall not encourage the transfer and in Divisions I and II,
shall not provide financial assistance to the student-athlete until the
student-athlete has attended the second institution for one academic year.
If permission is granted to contact the student-athlete, all applicable
NCAA recruiting rules apply."

As to how this is interpreted, well, only the NCAA can answer that
question.  13.1.2.3 does list exceptions to the rules regarding contact,
including note (d) which indicates that contacts made by an "established
family friend or neighbor" are okay if they do not involve recruiting and
"are not initiated by a member of an institution's coaching staff."

So if the player and coach have been friends, and the "contact" in this
case was initiated by the player, and no recruiting was involved, it may be
ok.  Players do have friends at other schools, including coaches.  It would
also seem to have been ok if the player's school gave written permission.

However again, as in the first case, I would think that questions would be
asked if the player did transfer after this.

And there is also the question of how you would prove that recruitment did
occur.  I don't know.  If it did but the people involve claim it did not,
then the burden would seem to be on the player's current institution to
prove it somehow.

Basically it is complicated and this may or may not have been ok.  I can
see how someone would wonder about this, but I am not making any judgment
on the matter one way or the other.  I am sure that if the current
institution has a concern it will raise it.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****          Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey WCCM 800 AM          *****