From:
Matt Stacey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 1996 11:08:34 -0500
Through 2 periods, this game was much closer than the final score would
reflect.  I thought both teams carried the play well, with U of M having the
better of the scoring chances through the first two periods.  While MSU did
have their chances in the first two periods and first part of the third
period, Turco played a surprisingly solid game.

I have been somewhat critical of Turco this year.  I think he is a great
goalie, but I almost think he has Mike Vernon Syndrome.  U of M's D is
playing so well (a la the Red Wings) that he doesn't have to face many shots
(like Vernon) , and occasionally when he does face a couple of decent shots
from the opposition, Turco had a tendency to let in a bad goal here or there
(usually when the game was over and it didn't make a difference in the
outcome).  I'm happy to say that Turco played an outstanding game and I
thinks it's only a preview of what's to come.

As Michigan plays the hardest part of it's schedule, I think it will be much
harder for our D to keep the play out of our zone.  I'm not saying that U of
M will give up a lot of shots on goal, but the games may be a little more
similar to the first two periods of last nights game.  The play was up and
down and while Turco did not have to make a ton of saves, he was constantly
handling the puck and staying sharp due to the play in the defensive zone.

I'll leave the rest of the analysis of the game to the other UM/MSU faithful
that were at the game, but for now, GO BLUE AND GO TURCO!!!!

MJStacey  Umich '93