From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 1995 23:17:14 -0400
Troy Taylor wrote:

> Is the BU-CM monopoly beginnig to fall? UNH snuck in this year and
> took the best player on possibly the only D1 kid of this years CM
> team.  From what I hear Jack Parker was not at all pleased with it.
> Steve O'Brien maybe the one to start the demise of the "BU farm
> team".  Just a little fuel for the fire.

The Boston University-Cathloic Memorial monopoly is, and always has
been, a myth.  The one example I can give of the top of my head is CM
star goalie Jim Carey, who went to Wisconsin and not BU.  I am sure
that there are several other top CM players who did not go to BU.

As for Jack Parker being "not at all pleased" about Steve O'Brien
deciding to attend UNH, so what?  I expect that every head coach is
"not at all pleased" when a top prospect decides to attend another
school.  I doubt Jack is worried about losing the mythical CM
monopoly, since their is not one, or that he was "not at all pleased"
because a CM player chose a school other than BU.

Jack and BU recruit the best available players regardless of where
they happen to play there high school hockey.  A case in point is
Tom Poti of Cushing Academy, who has verbally committed to attend BU
next year.  Some people say he is currenly the best high school
player in the US.

Now, as for the BU-CM myth, I only have the past 11 years worth of BU
information, but only twice in that time has more than one CM player
come to BU in a single year(*).  Starting with 1985-86, the breakdown is
as follows:

Year - # of Fr. from CM - # of players from CM on team - Freshmen

1985-86 - 0 - 1 - Bob Deraney (sophmore - walk on)
1986-87 - 0 - 1
1987-88 - 1 - 1 - Tony Campanale (walk on - did not make team)
1988-89 - 0 - 0
1989-90 - 4 - 4 - Mike and Mark Bavis
                  Stephen Foster, Kevin O'Sullivan
1990-91 - 0 - 3 - (Foster redshirted)
1991-92 - 0 - 4
1992-93 - 1 - 5 - Mike Prendergast (*)
1993-94 - 1 - 3 - Chris O' Sullivan (*)
1994-95 - 3 - 5 - Jeff Kealty, Tom Noble, Mike Sylvia
1995-96 - 1 - 5 - Brendan Walsh

That's exactly twelve CM players in twelve years.  The myth got going
when the 4 CM players came to BU in 1989-90 and there has been at
least 3 CM players on every team since, although in 1993-94 only two
CM players were regulars on the team as Stephen Foster finished his
disappointing career as a Terrier playing in only 10 early season
games.

*note: Chris O'Sullivan joined the 1992-93 at the start of the second
semester and played in 5 games before he was redshirted for the
season with a neck injury.

Sean Pickett            E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Go Terriers  1995 NCAA, Hockey East and Beanpot Champions
BU Hockey:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/hockey.html