From:
Paulette Dwen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paulette Dwen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 1994 15:52:11 -0500
 By not having some
>fighting in college hockey you will end up with a European brand of hockey
>which involves a lot of stick work.

What's wrong with that?

 There a lot of people I know that
>don't like the European brand of hockey we like a hard checking brand of
>physical hockey

There is a difference between physical hockey and fighting.  the first is
allowed under NCAA rules.  The latter is not.

and frankly I think that more people would like to see an
>occasional fight in a game and not have the player get severly punished
>for it.

Why don't we tell them they can go home and beat up their wives afterwards?

I once paritcipated in a summer hockey camp in which one of the
ten-year-old kids used to beat up his own teammates.  The poor kid next to
him on the bench would be watching the action on the ice and Bam! all of a
sudden this kid Mike would hit him.  Now I don't know what kind of home
Mike grew up in or what kind of team playing his coach at home promoted,
but I'd bet somewhere along the line he came across the "hockey=fighting"
philosophy, and that's what he learned from it.

Paulette Dwen
Cornell '89
Let's Go Red!